A simple and refreshing triple melon smoothie made from a blend of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. A great way to stay hydrated during the summer heat.
My love for melons
My husband and I have only attempted growing melons a few times in our 7 years of gardening here. They're not the easiest thing to grow on the West coast unless we have a particularly hot summer.
I remember one year, waiting so patiently for the watermelons and cantaloupe (muskmelon) to grow only to lose half of them to the local deer. I hope they enjoyed them. Nevertheless, what we did harvest was golden, sweet and juicy beyond belief.
Why you'll love this recipe
This simple triple melon smoothie recipe features three varieties of melons, a touch of honey and an (optional) splash of organic rose water. This smoothie develops a really pink ombre effect once poured.
The subtle floral aroma in this smoothie levels it up, however, you may not appreciate rose water, or simply don't have it on hand-feel free to omit.
What you will need
- honeydew melon
- filtered water
- honey or maple syrup
- ice cubes
- sea salt
- optional: rose water
How to make this recipe
This recipe couldn't be easier. Basically, add all the ingredients to a high powered blender in the order listed. Then, blend on high for 20-30 seconds and serve!
Tips to make this recipe perfect
- Use fresh ripe melons - they should also be free of blemishes or bruises. Even better if you can source an organic variety or a melon from a local grower because they will likely be EXTRA sweet and juicy.
- Wash the melons well before cutting into them - this is a general food safe tip.
- Add the ingredients to the blender in the order listed - this will help ensure everything blends up nicely.
- A high powered blender is amazing - you want the ice to blend up smooth and evenly. I love using a Vitamix for all my blending needs and you can find a link to my favourite one by checking out my shop page.
- Adjust to your liking - don't like cantaloupe or honeydew? Add more watermelon or melon of your choosing.
- Rose water is optional - I really enjoy the little hint or rose in this smoothie, however, it is entirely optional.
- Serve right away - this smoothie is best served right away.
Can I use frozen melon for this recipe?
Yes! I have made this recipe using frozen melon chunks and it works well, however, you will need to omit the ice and add a little extra water to achieve your desired consistency. It can be a challenge to find frozen melon in my area, hence why I mostly use fresh.
A few thoughts on honey
Some people who prefer not to consume honey or bee products, and that is a choice I respect. I choose to support our local beekeeper and admire their unmediated, ethical harvest and care for their hives and colonies.
There's a lot of debate about consuming bee products and I will let you decide one way or the other what is right. However if you are not interested in using honey, maple syrup will also work in this recipe.
Refreshing Triple Melon Smoothie
A simple refreshing triple melon smoothie made from a blend of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew. A great way to stay hydrated during the summer heat.
- 2 cups cantaloupe chopped
- ½ cup honeydew melon chopped
- 2 ½ cups watermelon chopped
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp rose water
In a high-powered blender, add all the ingredients in the order listed. Blend on high for 20-30 seconds. Serve immediately.
Rose water is not mandatory, so feel free to omit if its not your thing. I've also enjoyed this smoothie without added honey/sweetener and it's just as good!