Well, it’s been quite the interesting week around here. Spring has officially arrived and with it, hasty last minute garden work. With the untrustworthy weather lately, it’s been a slow start to planting any seedlings… moody high and low temperature swings made it seem we were headed for another frost.
Nevertheless, it’s certainly the right time to start digging, watering and nurturing; we have a busy gardening weekend ahead of ourselves (no complaints at all). Although, I suppose I’ll be demoted to “supervisor” rather than “chief digger”; I ended up in the ER this week with a not so pretty kitchen battle wound. I’m totally ok, not to worry at all…it was bound to happen one of these days. At any rate, I do apologize that this post is going to be a tad short as typing with a big ‘booboo bandage’ on my index finger is somewhat…interesting?
Anyway, roasted potatoes are definitely high on my list of favorite savories. They make for excellent potato salad, in my humble opinion. My simple “toss” for these crispy golden nuggets is a dressing made from raw sunflower seeds and dijon mustard (plus a few others tasties)…simple, tangy and nutritious. Finished it off with fresh dill and a drizzling of lemon juice to make this dish sing happily that it’s spring-time.
Sending wishes your way for many days of beautiful sunshine in the forthcoming weeks. Why, hello there, Spring!
SPRING ROAST POTATO SALAD w SUNFLOWER DIJON TOSS
A simple and satisfying potato salad with a twist. Olive oil roasted potato slices with lightly cooked asparagus and fresh radish tossed with a creamy and tangy sunflower seed and dijon dressing. Notes of fresh dill and lemon make this dish sing ‘spring-time’.
| serves 3-4 |
| oven 400’F |
For the Potatoes & Asparagus
- 1 kg red or new potatoes, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- generous salt & pepper
- 220g (12-14 spears) asparagus , cut into quarters, base removed
- 3 medium radishes, sliced thinly
For the Sunflower Dijon Dressing Toss
- 1 /4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh dill ( or 1/2 tsp dried)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- lemon wedges for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400’F. in a large bowl, combine the sliced potatoes and olive oil; toss until the potatoes are coated evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place on large baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until crispy and golden brown, flipping halfway. Remove from oven and cool.
2. While the potatoes are cooling, steam the chopped asparagus in a medium saucepan or steamer just until crisp tender, about 3-5 minutes. Run the steamed asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process (this will keep them bright and crispy). Drain off any excess water and set aside.
Prepare the Dressing:
3. Add the dressing ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy (think mayonnaise consistency). You may need to scrape down the sides occasionally.
4. Pour the dressing into a large bowl and add in the cooked potatoes slices, steamed asparagus and sliced radish. Toss until the the dressing is evenly distributed. Garnish with additional fresh dill springs, sea salt and a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
Notes | if you prefer, you can slice the asparagus into 1/4-1/2″ slices for small bite sized pieces.