Well, the holidays are officially over. This time of year, I often fall prey to “the lag” when the only energy I can muster is to pull on warm socks, curl up by the fireplace and eat soup (all day). Nevertheless, tasks need accomplishing, wild-lings need chasing, and winter vegetables need tending to. It never ceases to amaze me the resiliency of some plants. A few weeks back, we had a very hard frost which was sure to kill the Arugula. A few days later, the once wilted and frozen leaves were alive, vibrant and ready for eating…so, while the frost may not have done it in, my appetite sure did.
Leeks are a very hearty winter vegetable that can be grown year round. While we weren’t able to sow any last spring, these tasty alliums can be found at most local markets or grocers this season. Of course, everyone loves leeks with potatoes (right?). Their flavours together remind me of many homemade lunches with my dad; a hot bowl of leek and potato soup with a slice of German rye bread is such a nourishing meal on a cold Winter’s day.
This is a simple recipe that can be made with ingredients you probably already have on hand. It comes together with little fuss, which I always love…especially this time of year. The addition of white beans (Cannellini beans) makes this soup extra creamy and adds a boost of protein to this well loved recipe. It’s packed with fiber and is, of course, completely dairy free. My preference is to toss in a handful of fresh parsley, spinach, or chopped kale from the garden to help me feel as though I’m more health conscious than I may or may not be at the moment 😉
Anyway you serve it, this is a lovely nutritious bowl to warm up your work or school day, or as something to look forward to savoring at day’s end.
Happy New Year and warm hugs!
CREAMY WINTER LEEK, POTATO AND WHITE BEAN SOUP [vegan]
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 large leek or 2 medium, finely sliced (white part only) (~1 ½ cups)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 450 g diced yukon gold or nugget potatoes ~3 cups
- 5 ½ cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups cooked cannellini beans
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley or spinach for serving
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion, leek and garlic and cook over medium heat until the onion starts to turn translucent and the leeks are wilted (about 5-8 minutes). Add in the diced potatoes, cannellini beans and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and fully cooked.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast. With an immersion blender, blend until the soup is fairly smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped parsley, spinach or kale and a slice of hearty rye bread.