As the weather makes it way towards winter, my morning smoothies practically go extinct. Instead, my hands reach for the kettle, a large tea mug, and a hot bowl of oatmeal. There’s nothing like having something warm in your belly on a chilly November morning.
As a creature of habit, my oatmeal tends to remain quite static in its taste and presentation; my son and I share oatmeal in the morning, so keeping to a certain standard has proven beneficial in making the day predictable (somewhat). This morning, I wanted a different oatmeal experience and was willing to tempt my son’s palate with something out of the ordinary (risky business, indeed). It’s not quite December, thus the nutmeg and dried cranberries remained in the pantry. Chai Spice, however, is a wonderful medley of warming spices reminiscent of December, but it unmistakably says “late autumn”. It’s very easy to make your own Chai spice.
Today as the first time my son tried Pomegranate; he enjoyed it so much, we ate one its entirety…the distinctly red fingers, hands and shirts were a dead giveaway. After this post, I’ll be venturing out for more pomegranates, undoubtedly. In the meantime, I’ll finish eating and finish writing about my new favourite late autumn breakfast: Vanilla Chai Spice Oatmeal. Seasonal pears, toasted almonds and a sprinkling of pomegranate bring out the best in this simple breakfast; top with fresh almond milk for maximum enjoyment. I adore how cold almond milk brings my oatmeal to a palatable temperature almost instantly; sometimes impatience gets its way…
Let me show you how to make this recipe. Keep in mind that this isn’t an exact recipe per say; take what’s provided here and run with it to your liking.
VANILLA CHAI OATMEAL w/ TOASTED ALMOND + PEAR
| Serves 2 |
Chai Spice Mix
- 1 tsp Ground Cardamom
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
For the Oatmeal
- 1/4 Cup Almonds, Chopped
- 1 Cup Large Flake Oats
- 1 3/4 Cups Filtered Water
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Powder (or 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract)
- Stevia or Maple Syrup to taste
- Rounded 1/2 TSP Chai Spice Mix (see below)
- 1/2 Large Pear, Diced
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate Seeds
1. Prepare your Chai spice by combining all the above spices; pour into a reusable container or up-cycled spice jar with a fitted lid. Set aside.
2. In a small frying pan, gently heat the chopped almonds over medium heat until warm, slightly browned and fragrant (about 3-5 minutes).
3.. In a medium pot, add the oats, filtered water, vanilla powder and Chai spice. Cook over medium heat until the oats become thick, soft and porridge-like (about 5 minutes). Once cooked, mix in the diced pear, sweetener of choice and toasted almonds.
4. Spoon the cooked oats into a bowl and garnish with pomegranate seeds, more diced pear and toasted almond if you like. Serve warm with fresh almond milk on top.