Fall is here which means back to routines and relishing in the comfort of a cozy sweater and a more relaxed pace after the carefree days of summer. It’s wonderful to get back to hot meals and warming your heart and home by the stove. I’ve always loved fall and everything it brings…renewal, regeneration and knee high boots!
However, nothing says fall like hearty soups and stews; they’re the most perfect way to warm up during the day or into the evening as the weather turns cooler. While I was living at home on the mainland, my father used to make soups (alot of soups)… large pots would last us the week and fill our bellies after long afternoon walks. I got into the habit of making large amounts of soup probably from my experience growing up; they’re a satisfying ready made meal which make for perfect leftovers with a toasty slice of French bread.
Lentils, Quinoa, kale, carrots and smoked paprika make this a nourishing cold weather stew which will freeze well, if there is any left over. I love to double this recipe and enjoy it midday for several days in a row; yes, I don’t bore very easily when it comes to food.
This recipe is meatless, yet is thick, bulky and fulfilling. Moreover, lentils and quinoa are very high in protein, fibre and iron; you won’t miss any meat, promise. Pair this soup with a cozy warm sweater and you’re all set for fall!
HEARTY LENTIL + QUINOA STEW
| serves 4 |
- 1 Cup Brown or Green Lentils
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Bouillon
- 3 TBSP White Cooking Wine
- 1 Large Carrot Cubed
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cloves Crushed Garlic
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 TBSP Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Chopped Kale
- Salt + Pepper
1. In a large soup pot, place the lentils, water, vegetable bouillon and chopped carrot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to medium heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and start to split.
2. Add the quinoa white cooking wine, crushed garlic, tomato paste and mix until well combined. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa is soft and plump.
3. Add the chopped kale, season with salt and pepper to taste and mix until combined. Serve with fresh crusty bread and…