This vegan crunchy kale slaw is full of nutrients and paired with the sweetness of crisp apple and balsamic in the tahini dressing. Topped with vegan almond Parmesan, this slaw is a delicious way to eat your greens.
It already feels like winter is on the way out and making way for spring.Ã‚ I'm going to venture out on a limb here and say, I'm not that excited for spring. I love sweaters, heavy socks, big blankets and hot tea; I could subsist on these and get through a year long winter if need be. Maybe winter runs in my veins? Maybe I'm just cold hearted?Ã‚ No, I think the real truth here is that I just completed my first knitting project and thus feel the need to get as much wear out of my new scarf as possible.
Truly, as much as I love winter, it will be wonderful to get back out in the garden and reap what we sow (hopefully). Anyway, it's still a tad early to be thinking about that (for me, anyway). In the interim, there are plenty of winter vegetables that make satisfying salad bowls which may help nudge us winter folk out of our blanket forts. I'm sure the majority are in the mood for spring to arrive; this recipe will be sure to remind you of the sunshine, yet still keep one foot firmly in the frost.
Kale, apple and crunchy red and green cabbage make an excellent, nutrient dense base on which you can load plenty of Balsamic Tahini dressing and Almond Parmesan. Cruciferous vegetables (kale, broccoli, cabbage, collards, spinach brussel sprouts etc) are some of the most nutritious plant foods available.
This salad is full of crunch, slight sweetness from the crisp apple and mellow hint of Balsamic in the Tahini dressing.Ã‚ This dressing took a few tries to get right, but I'm happy to say it's now become one of Steve's favorites.Ã‚ Ã‚ We've been eating this salad a few times a week and every time he mentions casually how this one is "a winner". It's nice to hear because sometimes I get it wrong...really wrong...at least he's honest.
Lastly, if you haven't tried almond Parmesan, you're in for a treat...you'll be putting it on everything...it's a simple and delicious dairy free Parmesan substitute full of Vitamin E, and B vitamins; it has amazing flavour, you guys. This recipe will make enough almond Parmesan to last you quite sometime.
I know I haven't gone into too much detail describing the taste of this salad; you simply have to try it for yourself. However, I will say just one thing: it's so good.
Crunchy Kale Slaw with Balsamic Tahini Dressing and Almond Parmesan
- 4 large kale leaves, stems removed and chopped
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into ⅛" slices
- ¼ small red cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ small green cabbage, finely shredded
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup tahini, well stirred
- 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, optional
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup water
Vegan Almond Parmesan
- ½ cup unsalted almonds, unsalted
- ½ cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl, toss together the chopped kale, sliced/diced apple, cabbage and green onion. Set aside.
- In a food processor or high powered blender, add all the dressing ingredients and blend on high until smooth. Pour into a reusable container with a lid; wash and dry the food processor or blender to make the vegan Parmesan.
- Combine the almonds, cashews, nutritional yeast and salt in a blender or food processor and pulse until fine grounds form. Store in a reusable container fitted with a lid and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Serve the slaw with the the dressing and top with a a tablespoon of almond Parmesan.
Disclaimer: all recipes on this site are developed and tested in a Canadian kitchen with Canadian ingredients at normal elevation using an electric oven and stove. Results may vary.
This is an approximation of the nutrition offered in this recipe, and is created using a nutrition calculator. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your preferred calculator.