A dairy-free twist on the popular fall coffee blend- the pumpkin spice latte is easy to make at home! Pumpkin spice blend can be made in advance, so you can enjoy a warm hug-in-a-mug all Autumn long! The sweetness can be adjusted to your liking.
The weather has changed quite suddenly leaving us all with chilly nights and mornings…the kind that make me want to stay in bed and enjoy some me time (as if that’s even a possibility…we have a two year old).
Regardless, I try to mindfully set aside time each day for some form of relaxation …a cup of coffee or tea, reading, stretching, writing (like I’m doing now), or something as simple as listening to the birds outside our window.
And of course, nothing beats a good coffee. What better way to welcome fall than with an uber trendy (yet equally satisfying) pumpkin spice latte. Making this wonderful fall beverage at home is super easy and will save you a few bucks. Moreover, this homemade PSL is naturally sweetened and doesn’t contain any artificial flavorings or colours.
Keys to making a great Dairy-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Use quality espresso and brew it fresh
- Use plain pumpkin puree so you can control the level of sweetness and spice
- Use fresh grated nutmeg- this will really make your drink extra special and aromatic
- Use unsweetened/plain almond milk
- Don’t skip whip – use your favourite store bought variety, or try making coconut whip.
This homemade version of the pumpkin spice latte is a perfect homage to fall weather- stay inside, put on your cozy socks and make this one today.
DAIRY-FREE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
A vegan-friendly twist on the traditional popular fall beverage. Pumpkin spice blend is easy to make at home, so you can enjoy a warm hug-in-a-mug all Autumn long! The sweetness can be adjusted to your liking.
For Pumpkin Spice blend:
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
For the Lattes:
- 2 oz approx 1/4 cup fresh brewed espresso (or 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee)
- 3 tbsp plain pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice blend
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (adjust to your desired sweetness level)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
To make the pumpkin spice blend, simply mix together all the spices and store in an airtight jar.
Brew the espresso as per package directions. In a small sauce pan, gently heat the pumpkin puree, the 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice blend, vanilla extract, syrup and 1/4 cup of the almond milk until warm. Remove from heat and stir in the brewed espresso.
Portion the pumpkin/espresso mixture into two of your favourite mugs.
In another small sauce pan, heat the remaining almond milk just until it starts steaming. If you prefer your latte with milk froth, you'll need to froth the milk now. Remove from heat and gently pour over the espresso/pumpkin mixture. Stir to combine.
Top with your favorite non-dairy whip, or milk froth. Garnish with an extra sprinkling of pumpkin spice or fresh grated nutmeg.